School: Hockerill Anglo-European College
Address: Dunmow Road Bishop's Stortford Hertfordshire CM23 5HX
Telephone: 01279 658451
Age range: 11-18
This is an academy mixed-sex secondary school.
Specialist status: Languages, Music
This school usually has 68 day places and 50 boarding places. For boarding places, there are different admission criteria - please contact the school for details or visit www.hockerill.herts.sch.uk
Use the Calculator if you are applying under the school allocation rule (new Rule 5). However due to the complexity of this rule, and the popularity of this school, you should speak to the school about your personal situation. So interpret the result with caution!
Rule 1: Children who are looked after by a Local Authority in England and Wales, in accordance with Section 22 of the Children Act 1989 and children who were looked after and ceased to be so because they were adopted under the terms of the Adoption and Children Act 2002.
Rule 2: Children who will have a brother or sister on the College roll (day student) at the time of application unless the sibling is in Year 13 or indicated that he or she will not be attending the school at the date of admission. NB: Sibling means the sister, brother, half brother or sister, or child of the parent/carer permanently living at the same address as that brother or sister.
Rule 3: Aptitude. Children demonstrating the greatest aptitude in modern foreign languages and/or music. 12 places may be allocated in this way. 7 of these places will be based solely on aptitude for languages, 3 will be based solely on aptitude for music and 2 on a combination of both languages and music.
Rule 4: Children of staff directly employed by the school in either or both of the following circumstances:
• where the member of staff has been employed for two or more years at the time at which the application for admission to the school is made, and/or
• the member of staff is recruited to fill a vacant post for which there is a demonstrable skill shortage. Children of staff are those where the staff member is the child’s parent by blood or adoption, or the member of staff has legal parental responsibility for the child. The child must have lived at the same address as the parent employed by the school for at least one year at the time of application.
Rule 5: School allocations. Any further places will be allocated in the following manner:
• Up to 33% of these places will be allocated to pupils attending the following schools: All Saints, St.Joseph’s, Summercroft, Thorn Grove, Windhill
• Up to 33% of these places will be allocated to pupils attending the following schools: Hillmead, Manor Fields, Richard Whittington, Northgate, Thorley Hill, St.Michael’s
• Up to 33% of these places will be allocated to pupils attending other schools.
Tiebreaker: In the case of oversubscription within any criterion priority will be given to children who live nearest to the College measured by using the Hertfordshire Local Authority’s computerised mapping system. Home to school distances for admission allocation purposes will be measured along a straight line between a child's address and the relevant school.
A third of all parents will win their appeal – so isn't it worth your best shot? Our invaluable guides will help you through the next few months, holding your hand, every step of the way.